Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 6: Player Perspective: Laura

Sathya awarding Laura with a certificate
One of my pen pals name is Sathya and when I first met her she was this crazy very outgoing and talkative girl. She was always the first person to speak when questions were asked, but then the one that didn’t want to participate in cheering or activities. She would pretend as if she were too cool for such activities, but really she wasn’t confident in herself to do well. As the week progressed she began to find things that she was good at and dropped the act and became more sensitive. Yesterday we played against another school called Pathways. All of
the Rising Star girls came to watch our game and a couple minutes into the game Sathya began leading cheers on the sideline. She even cheered for the Pathway team because she felt bad they didn’t have anyone cheering. I was so glad that I got the opportunity to be Sathya’s pen pal because I watched her grow as a person throughout the week. In the beginning when I would talk to her she would put up a front and didn’t want to talk, but by the end of the week she was eager to know everything about me and tell me all about herself. She had grown into this very self- confident young woman. It was the perfect example of how we affected the girl’s lives that we were working with in just one hour.

Sadly, today Goals for Girls had to part from Rising Star to move on to our next activity. The week flew by so fast and I can’t believe it is already over. Reflecting on the week I have learned so much about the Indian culture and myself that I will cherish forever. One of the main things I have learned about the Indian culture is how welcoming they are. It doesn’t matter who you are or how well they know you they will always be friendly and accepting. It is crazy how easily a wave or a smile can break any barrier and open you up to someone. Although I am sad to leave, I am looking forward to the adventures ahead.

1 comment:

Laura M. Sullivan said...

Laura,
I hope you can always take that welcoming spirit with you, it will serve you well.
Laura M. Sullivan