Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 7: Player Perspective: Becky

This morning we woke up and the sleep was awesome! Breakfast had tons of options and I filled up for the big day ahead. We drove 20 minutes to a dirt soccer field with almost circus tent set up. It was awesome. First we did a coaches clinic which we hope really helped the coaches and gave them some ideas of drills. At this point, I was getting starving! Dream a Dream split us up into two huge groups for lifeskills where we did a "trust fall" game called "My Supporters" and played handball. Amit then got back with SUBWAY Sandwiches and we all pigged out!

After lunch, the tournament began. There were probably 300 students watching from 6 different schools. By the time it was our turn to actually play soccer we all were all feeling pretty exhausted. After starting the first round I realized these girls would need much more encouragement than Rising Star girls needed. The game was almost over and Cindy wanted a goal. So, the next time I got the ball I scored. That was it. Immediately the girls were excited to play! The next game was semi-finals, and me and Riley really talked the girls up. I did absolutely everything in my power to assist these girls in scoring because I could see how happy it made them and in turn, me. It was getting close though and we needed another point. I passed the ball through to a girl named Hashita and she scored! She jumped up and down so excited and I couldn't help myself but to jump up and down with her. I was just genuinely that happy! To see that by just passing her the ball made her light up. She did it again in the finals with the exact same reaction. At half we had scored 1 goal and we were winning.  Ian pulled me and Riley aside telling us it had to be a tie because a very important guest was coming and they didn't want the game to be over before the guest arrived. We both played defense so that we could "let" a goal in, but then Hashita took the ball down the field all by herself and scored. It was the coolest feeling ever. We then let Chelsea score so that it would end up in a tie, with the need to end in PK's (giving us enough time for the guest to arrive before the event was over). During the PK's, Hashita made a goal and no one else did, but that's all we needed to win!

There was a short closing ceremony thanking everyone and lots of pictures. We then went back to the hotel. We showered and walked to a restaurant called Mainland China, followed by some icecream. That ended day 1 in Bangalore!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really good post. I really liked to read about your experiences in india and how you were a great leader.

Anonymous said...

I liked reading about all the fun things you guys are doing! Bangladore sounds like so much fun! Keep up the good work guys! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I enjoyed reading about your experiences in India. Keep up the great work your doing in India, and thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a game! It looks really fun in India and I hope to go there some day. What is the weather like? Hot, cold, rainy, dry? Never studied these things so I want to know.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love reading your posts about what your doing in India.

Anonymous said...

You mean so much to those kids, you light up their life

Leah said...

I enjoyed reading about all the cool things that you all did in India. I think that what you are doing is really great. This is a great experience you all have.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about the fun things you are doing. It sounds very exciting and fun. I hope you continue to have a good time.