Friday, January 10, 2014

Player Perspective: Jordan

Two days ago we arrived in Delhi. Exhausted from yet another flight delay, we sluggishly  talked through the lobby of the hotel we are staying at. That night we slept in beds that felt like clouds and woke up completely rested. We then went down to the hotel’s international breakfast and ate until we were full. After meeting in the lobby at 7:30 a.m. we walked out to a bus full of girls that were Yuwa soccer players.


These girls were several years younger than us and came from a village that was far less fortunate than the homes we all live in (Jarkhand). They had traveled a long 40 hour journey to come play with Goals for Girls. They had every reason to be tired, grumpy, exhausted, and non-talkative because of their travel circumstances. We prepared ourselves to get ready to give them some energy but to our surprise, they were instead lively, talkative, and excited to see us. Their passion for the game of futbol was admirable. This reaction made me realize how fortunate I was to have soccer growing up and made me feel slightly guilty for somewhat taking the game for granted.

Soccer means a lot to these Yuwa girls.






As some of the senior players pointed out to me later that day at the clinic, girls soccer has so much support in America and that support is nonexistent in India. My community and loved ones have always supported my soccer career but this is not the case for most Indian girls. The struggles I have in my life are nothing compared to what these girls experience on a day to day basis. The Yuwa girls practice every day and have an intense love for the game of soccer. I was very impressed by their skill level and their aggressive style of play. I hope that we have taught these girls that they can be good at soccer, can be supported by others, and can have self-confidence about their play. Fortunately, we get a chance to hang out with these awesome girls again before we leave. I am confident that as long as these girls keep playing the game that they love so much, the life lessons will follow. 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the situation for the girls can change.

Anonymous said...

Exelent blog post! I love everything you're doing, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I would be really grumpy if I had to travel that long! It's amazing that they were lively and talkative.

Anonymous said...

They traveled a whole 40 hours! Wow they are so dedicated to soccer, great post! Have a safe flight back!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog post. I thought it was awesome and your idea was awesome.

Anonymous said...

This is a really good organization. I think the soccer players from India are really lucky.

Leah said...

I think that what Goals for Girls is really cool. You all have had a great experience going to India. Nice blog post!

Anonymous said...

I think it is cool that flew 40hours to come play soccer. It's also a great thing they had the opportunity to come play a game they love.

Anonymous said...

Did you feel like it was worth it to visit there?

Anonymous said...

Great post, I love all the detail. It must be so much fun and interesting to be there!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's great! I'm so glad you got to help out these girls! It sounded like you had a lot of fun! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! That must have been a really cool experience. I hope that those girls keep playing soccer!

Alayah said...

I am glad that the girl in India were privileged to work with soccer players like yourselves. I am glad that all the girls enjoyed the soccer playing, and the teaching.

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Sounds like it was a wonderful trip!

Patti D said...

Thank you 6th graders for commenting on Jordan's post!!